Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Students who qualify for need-based financial aid at WashU and are awarded Federal Work-Study as part of their award are eligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study program. Eligible students are given the opportunity to work part-time jobs on campus during the academic year.

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is an important part of our need-based financial aid award packages. Part-time student employment is interesting, the work schedule is flexible, and the experience allows you to start building your résumé.

Student Employment

Whether you are a research assistant or a peer tutor—you’ll grow both personally and professionally from student employment opportunities, and you’ll have experiences and connections needed to be successful when you are looking for a career after graduation. 

Students typically work about 6-10 hours a week for many of the campus employers who participate in the FWS program.

Payroll and Compensation

You and your employer will agree on the number of hours you’ll work each week. Compensation for FWS positions is at least the minimum wage. FWS positions are classified as a temporary employees and don’t receive fringe benefits such as vacation, sick pay, or holiday pay.

Taxable Earnings

FWS earnings are taxable. Depending on your filing status, a standard earnings threshold is in place up to which no taxes are withheld. For earnings above this threshold, federal and state income taxes are withheld. However, as long as you’re enrolled as a student and working on-campus, you’ll be exempt from paying the Social Security (FICA and Medicare) taxes.

Part-time Employment

Part-time employment not funded by the FWS program is also available. You may contact Suzanne McIver in the Career Center at (314) 935-5930 to learn more about part-time job opportunities near campus.

To learn more about part-time job opportunities, login to ‘My FA Access’ and select ‘Student Employment’ from the side menu.

Employer Resources

Hiring qualified students for work-study jobs is more affordable than ever. The U.S. Department of Education will cover up to 60 percent of a student’s pay—the university department pays the rest.

If you are looking for a part-time student employee, call (314) 935-5900 or e-mail.

For more information about how to participate in the Federal Work-Study program or to request a Login and Password, contact James McDonald.